Friday 18 June 2010

My first fish!

The past four days in the Banyaks were straight out of a surfer’s wet dream. With perfect sunny skies, no wind, and non-stop swell, I had to pinch myself every morning to make sure I wasn’t asleep. Like the turtles in our bay the swell moved in slow and steady. The first day Ross and I had the bay all to ourselves, and were trading tubes back and forth like baseball cards on the school bus. By the end of the day we lost count.

The next two days offered double to triple overhead waves, and brought a few charter boats to the bay. Having the insider knowledge, I waited until the boat crews were surfed out and the tide was getting low before I moseyed out into the line-up.

Meanwhile, our food stocks were getting low, and with new supplies not coming for some time, Ross and I decided it was high time to try our luck at spear fishing. Ross armed with my gun, and myself with the Hawaiian Sling we set out into the blue.



I have never gone spear fishing before this trip and so my first few goes were pretty rough, but this time I was determined. 30 min. into my hunt, I stabbed a nice sized Parrot Fish, but got too excited and pulled out the spear quickly, leaving him wounded on the reef. I couldn’t stop there; I was determined to get a fish.


I took a big breath and swam down behind a large coral head. Slowly, I slipped around the corner just as a small Bayam came into view. As I let go of the rubber everything went slow motion like I was riding a wave. I watched as the three prongs of the spear penetrated the flesh and pinned the Bayam against the reef. To ensure I had a successful kill I left my spear in him for a few minutes as I bobbed up for air. Slowly I lifted him on the reef and swam back to the boat. My first fish was not the tastiest, but it’s a start!

4 comments:

  1. I enjoy keeping up with your adventures via your blogs. Although I felt bad for the beautiful parrot fish who suffered, I am so happy to see you healthy and happy and experiencing more than most people do in a lifetime. Your writing is terrific - you shouid turn this into a book. Perhaps you can contact editors of surf magazines and write an ongoing column. I'm sure they're always looking for good content. Both Grandma and Erica said they spoke to you and you sound so terrific. Everyone has different ways of measuring success - most people who measure success by $$ are not happy. Grandpa used to say, "Money doesn't buy happiness." Keep up the blogs - I really look forward to reading them. I'm so proud of you and I love you very much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you say "Surfer's wet dream"?
    How is the "Garden of Eden"?
    You are now our favorite fisherman and international farmer!!!!
    Your Mom is right (again) that money doesn't always buy happiness.
    Big ups from Hawaii!!!!!!
    Sampai Nanti......Until later
    Harvy, Me-indo, and Maile

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the fish brotha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Rad... keep it coming bro. Can we get some bigger fish though? and More FIJI apparel, please.

    ReplyDelete